Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In flight mobile phone service - ENGAGED

3 posters

Go down

In flight mobile phone service - ENGAGED Empty In flight mobile phone service - ENGAGED

Post by ruinair Mon 29 Mar 2010 - 13:51

'Inflight communications company OnAir has today ended its contract to provide an in-flight mobile service to Ryanair. Ryanair said it was pleased with the performance of the system, which had been running on around 50 planes for a year, and wanted to extend it to the full fleet. But Ryanair said OnAir did not want to commit to this expansion at the moment and exercised its right to end the agreement. OnAir said the two companies 'did not reach a mutual agreement' on the process and timing of the expansion.'

It looks like the experiment to use mobile phones on-board is dead. Despite lots of flights on FR, i have hardly ever seen any FR pax using their mobile phones. I imagine the € revenue was tiny. What do others think?
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

In flight mobile phone service - ENGAGED Empty Re: In flight mobile phone service - ENGAGED

Post by atoutprix Mon 29 Mar 2010 - 21:52

Never seen anybody use a mobile phone in flight; but then, there were very few aircraft carrying the required equipment.

Some comments here :

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/03/29/340024/ryanair-to-seek-new-phone-service-after-splitting-with.html
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2351
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

In flight mobile phone service - ENGAGED Empty Re: In flight mobile phone service - ENGAGED

Post by j2op Mon 29 Mar 2010 - 23:43

All planes (10?) based in BGY are equiped for gsm...I just sent some sms for 50 cents each. It is very expensive but useful to say i am late/earlier...And yes it is fun to send an sms from 33000 feet. Calling is impossible (3€ calling 2€ called) but internet data for very small applications (skebby for example) is affordable.. It was useful if it was on all the planes...
j2op
j2op
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum