Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prepay Mastercard flaw

+4
EchoVictorOscar
atoutprix
jferreira20
Rich00cap
8 posters

Go down

Prepay Mastercard flaw Empty Prepay Mastercard flaw

Post by Rich00cap Fri 9 Apr 2010 - 0:54

Just come across another major drawback with this awful scheme. There's a flight to Frankfurt Hahn I want to book, so dutifully I went to the post office, withdrew £30 and loaded it onto the card at 1630. When I got home the new money was not available. Not too worried at this point I left it until now ( 2345) . Money still not available to spend. The chances are the flights I want will have gone up by the time the money is available. When I used Electron in the same way the second the money was transferred into my Halifax account it was available to spend. This is a major and serious flaw to the prepay scheme and takes away the ability to book flights spontaneously.
Rich00cap
Rich00cap
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Prepay Mastercard flaw Empty Re: Prepay Mastercard flaw

Post by jferreira20 Fri 9 Apr 2010 - 9:40

Here in Portugal, I load my card online, and the money gets available immediatly.
jferreira20
jferreira20
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Fri 9 Apr 2010 - 11:46

When I transfer money from my bank account, it also takes two or three days before it's credited on my "Wirecard".
The trick is always to have on your card money enough to make at least your next booking ...
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2351
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich00cap Sun 11 Apr 2010 - 8:51

It's all well and good saying keep enough money on your card until you need it but why should I or anyone give money to Mastercard to hold onto INTEREST FREE until I need it? it's my money and should be earning me interest until I need it, not bloody mastercard!
Rich00cap
Rich00cap
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoVictorOscar Sun 11 Apr 2010 - 11:44

It's really not that big of an issue......
EchoVictorOscar
EchoVictorOscar
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Sun 11 Apr 2010 - 13:16

Rich00cap wrote:It's all well and good saying keep enough money on your card until you need it but why should I or anyone give money to Mastercard to hold onto INTEREST FREE until I need it? it's my money and should be earning me interest until I need it, not bloody mastercard!

Agreed, but you have to look at the other side.
If you use a Visa, you keep the interest for you until the next month, but you pay 5 more euros or pounds for your ticket.
Which largely cancels your gain in interest ...
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2351
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich00cap Mon 12 Apr 2010 - 16:44

atoutprix wrote:
Rich00cap wrote:It's all well and good saying keep enough money on your card until you need it but why should I or anyone give money to Mastercard to hold onto INTEREST FREE until I need it? it's my money and should be earning me interest until I need it, not bloody mastercard!

Agreed, but you have to look at the other side.
If you use a Visa, you keep the interest for you until the next month, but you pay 5 more euros or pounds for your ticket.
Which largely cancels your gain in interest ...

Good point well made Autoprix. It's amazing Ryanair don't launch their own pre pay mastercard, imagine the millions of pounds/euros etc they would be holding on behalf of customers without paying interest.
Rich00cap
Rich00cap
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishwhite Thu 22 Jul 2010 - 12:29

I have a Payzone pre-paid card here in Ireland and its gets updated straight away once I load it. I can check the balance online. Good advice to keep 50e on it at all times so that you can buy cheap flights straight away.

Last edited by Irishwhite on Thu 22 Jul 2010 - 12:30; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Irishwhite
Irishwhite
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich00cap Thu 22 Jul 2010 - 12:43

What do we think Ryanair will switch to as their free payment method next year? Once we've all got our prepay mastercards of course!
Rich00cap
Rich00cap
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishwhite Thu 22 Jul 2010 - 13:13

I booked two flights recently and saved 10e. The set-up costs for the Prepaid came to 9.90e, so I covered my set-up costs on my first transaction. I think Mastercard wil be around for a couple of years.
Irishwhite
Irishwhite
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogmatix Fri 23 Jul 2010 - 11:25

Rich00cap wrote:What do we think Ryanair will switch to as their free payment method next year? Once we've all got our prepay mastercards of course!

PayPal? Oh, no, hold on a minute, that won't work, too many people already have it - it has to be something not a lot of people know about, let alone have, and preferably it should be something that takes some effort to use, so that peole can't be bothered and would rather pay the Ryanair card paying fee.

Alternatively, Ryanair could start its own payment card scheme up. Not affiliated to Visa or MC (that would cost money), available only from Ryanair, and it would cost a fee to join, and a regular fee to keep unless you had say €500 in the account (guess who gets the interest), but it would be free to use to pay Ryanair tickets with.
Dogmatix
Dogmatix
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Registration date : 2010-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by photon Sat 24 Jul 2010 - 10:17

PREVIOUS MESSAGE DELETED.

£10 per transaction is far too expensive, however a prepaid mastercard will allow you to avoid this. Obviosuly 2% is taken off when you top it up, depending on what card you choose. But generally it fairs well compared to not using it at all.
Whatever way you look at it £10 is a hugh percentage on the overall ticket, 10% if you are paying £100.
That can make a difference to the overall fare, unless of course you take the steps as you guys. Frequent FR flyers, which some are not.

To receive any beneift on the 2.9% top up fee, you would need to be spending at least £450 on a flight. That would make the £10 fee seem inadequate if of course you can find a fare like that for a single person.
I spent £6 on today's special offer, long anticipated. With the card fee that rose to £16 which is a 140% increase.

Last edited by photon on Sat 24 Jul 2010 - 15:18; edited 2 times in total
photon
photon
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishwhite Sat 24 Jul 2010 - 11:19

OK let's do the math here.

I have a Payzone pre-paid that cost 6 euro to purchase, and a further 3.50 euro to load 100 euro on. That's 9.50 euro before the first transaction. I bought two flights for 9.98 euro. Payzone charged me 2.95% of the transaction = roughly 0.30 euro. I'm up roughly .20 cent after buying the first flights. I won't incur the purchase fee again or the load charge, only the 2.95% purchase fee.

After incuring the set-up costs, It makes sense for me to use the pre-paid to purchase flights up to a value of 335 euro in the one booking at which point the fee for using the pre-paid or a credit card are roughly the same. If the difference between using the pre-paid and credit card are relatively marginal, then I would use the credit card, saving the funds on the pre-paid for cheaper flights.
Irishwhite
Irishwhite
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by MrHoyt Sun 25 Jul 2010 - 1:51

get a net+ card isntead , its free. and you can choose currency on it...
MrHoyt
MrHoyt
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: