Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second method avoiding the credit/administration fee.

2 posters

Go down

Second method avoiding the credit/administration fee. Empty Second method avoiding the credit/administration fee.

Post by photon Wed 11 May 2011 - 16:59

Hi flyers, or as one word if you wish.

I usually pay for my flights using my pre-paid mastercard, as any intelligent person who knows ryanair would. But on this occasion I had the flights but not my mastercard.
And I'm also having problems getting a new pre-paid mastercard, since the company I am using won't issue me another card using the same name (photo proof of identity required). This will no doubt take time, time I don't have when I see the 1 day madness on ryanair's website.

So I had the flights but not the card, £20 return from Manchester - Faro, but this had initially jumped to £24 return. (after purchase this had jumped to around £60, he).
I didn't want to pay £36 for flights, I would rather pay the base fare of £24 and let that be that. So I originally thought about this idea I had thought about a few months ago, 'voucher'.

I immediately went onto ryanair.com to purchase a £25 voucher, filled out my name, debit card details and the total amount including the unavoidable charge of £5. So £30 for a £25 voucher

The voucher can only be redeemed once, so if you've got a £50 voucher then you will lose out on £25 for a £25 flight. Similarly if you book a £51 flight you are left to pay £1 or £13 for the use of your debit card, useless.

on this occasion my flights totalled £24 return, my voucher totalled £30.
£5 was lost in purchasing the voucher, and £1 lost due to the cost of the flight being £1 below the value of the voucher.
So £6 for the use of a voucher rather than £12 for the use of my debit card.
Total saving £6, and there were no need to enter my debit card fee

So, my handy tip is.

If the total cost of your flight is £25/£50/ etc, and you only have a debit card. Then purchase a voucher which you will receive immediately or in your inbox later. This can later redeem it on your flight as a method of avoiding the card/admin fee and save yourself £7.

Generally it works better when the value of the voucher matches the cost of flight, or anything just below it without exceeding £11.

I think this advice ought to be used on this website, particularly when the above applies.

photon
photon
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Second method avoiding the credit/administration fee. Empty Re: Second method avoiding the credit/administration fee.

Post by frcrilly Wed 18 May 2011 - 13:10

I think you have failed to mention a major advantage of this method. It becomes incredibly beneficial if you are making a group booking, considering the credit card charge is €6/£6 per passenger each way. See below example.

Imagine you are booking for 4 people. The total cost of flights, before credit card charges, comes to say €190. Credit card charges will amount to €48 (€6 per person each way), bringing the total to €238. Now you buy a €200 voucher and pay €5 for the doing so. (total €205). You then pay for the flights with the voucher. Yes, you do lose the difference between the voucher amount (€200) and the initial cost of flights (€190), but instead of paying €238 in total, you pay €205, a saving of €33.

I also find the voucher system useful for setting a limit. I like to fly Dublin to London Stansted return every few months, flying Dublin to Stansted on Friday evening and returning on the following Saturday evening (same airports). I am highly flexible on time and I have the following rule, I will go when I can get flights for no more than €55.00 in total (and not a cent more). The limit is calculated as a €50 voucher + the €5 purchase charge. If flights prices come to €49.99 + €12.00 credit card charges, totalling €61.99, I can purchase the flights for €55.00, saving up to €6.99.

My point is, a limit has to be set to something. You may as well set it to take advantage of the voucher system.

Hope you find this of interest.
frcrilly
frcrilly
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum