Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the latest on Girona?

2 posters

Go down

What's the latest on Girona? Empty What's the latest on Girona?

Post by Geoffram Sun 13 Nov 2011 - 7:45

Hi everybody. I'm a newly-joined member and I don't want to transgress the rules by bringing up a topic that has been discussed before. But most of those posts were made months ago, and I wondered whether any of your members had any later news about how negotiations were going with the Catalan government? An agreement between Ryanair and the outgoing Catalan government was made at the end of last year which promised the extension of flights to Girona for another five years. A new government was elected and requested that this negotiation be re-examined, at which point Ryanair started to look again its commitments, not only to Girona, but also to Reus (south of Barcelona). For years, Ryanair's policy has always been to fly to the cheaper peripheral airports, but suddenly the opportunity of flying directly to El Prat came up and Ryanair jumped at it. They started switching flights from the UK in February, closing the Gatwick route, and, at the end of October closed the other two London routes,from Stansted and Luton.
Am I right in saying that, for all of November, Ryanair flies neither to Girona nor El Prat? You can fly Stansted to El Prat after the beginning of December, and it seems they's got the same time slots there as they had for Girona.
I'm sure there's a lot of behind-the-scenes negotiations going on about Girona at the moment. Does anyone know how they're going? Ryanair seem very comfortable now at El Prat, which has reported a huge jump in passengers since Ryanair started flying there. Is there any chance Girona will come back on the scene again? Of course I have a vested interest: I have a place 30 kilometers from Girona, but 120 from El Prat. The extra journey time isn't a problem. It's just that I really loved Girona airport: it had loads of character and an awful lot of money had been spent enlarging it. Now it's a ghost-town, and I fully expect Ryanair to pull out completely, which would be a disaster for the airport.
Geoffram
Geoffram
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-11-13

Back to top Go down

What's the latest on Girona? Empty Re: What's the latest on Girona?

Post by atoutprix Sun 13 Nov 2011 - 16:18

It seems that Ryanair and Girona have not yet reached an agreement - published last month :

http://www.airport-extras.com/airport-car-hire/girona-airport-hit-by-ryanair-flight-cuts/

Air traffic at Girona Airport fell by 36,100 up until August of this year with the numbers expected to continue falling with suspension of many Ryanair flights following disagreements with the regional government over subsidies. They have cut 18 routes to and from Girona Airport and reduced the timetables of a further 17. Despite August being the height of the tourist season traffic fell 42.1% when compared with 2010.
The Catalan government tried to resume negotiations earlier this year and resubmitted a new offer to Ryanair which is believed to be €7.5M for Ryanair to transport two million passengers to the airport each year, but the airline pushed for €15M to deliver three million passengers but this was rejected.
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2351
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum