Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New bases at Malta, Bari and Brindisi?

+6
ryr-nick-fr
danieln
ruinair
amnesia
Wouter
BoyRyan
10 posters

Go down

New bases at Malta, Bari and Brindisi? Empty New bases at Malta, Bari and Brindisi?

Post by BoyRyan Tue 19 May 2009 - 19:33

New bases at Malta, Bari and
Brindsi

Some articles found today on the net about new bases
in Malta, Bari and Brindisi.

Sources

Malta
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090519/local/ryanair

Bari
and Brindisi
In
Italian
http://www.lagazzettadelmezzogiorno.it/GdM_dallapuglia_NOTIZIA_01.php?IDNotizia=241585&IDCategoria=1

Translation
http://translate.google.nl/translate?prev=hp&hl=nl&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lagazzettadelmezzogiorno.it%2FGdM_dallapuglia_NOTIZIA_01.php%3FIDNotizia%3D241585%26IDCategoria%3D1&sl=it&tl=en&history_state0=
BoyRyan
BoyRyan
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

New bases at Malta, Bari and Brindisi? Empty Re: New bases at Malta, Bari and Brindisi?

Post by Wouter Wed 20 May 2009 - 11:58

From another forum:

Ryanair Pledges 1M Pax p.a. & 1,000 Jobs with Malta Base

Malta to lose 1M Pax and 1,000 jobs if Tourism Chiefs ignore Ryanair

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (19th May) confirmed that its has provided the Malta Tourism Authority with a proposal to deliver in excess of 1 million additional passengers, creating at least 1,000 jobs and adding a much needed €275 million p.a. in tourism revenues by basing two Ryanair aircraft in Malta in order to reverse the island’s declining tourism figures.

Ryanair called on the Malta Tourism Authority to work with Ryanair to protect Malta tourism with the opening of a Ryanair base and the promotion of the island internationally. Ryanair is the only airline to continue to grow passenger traffic thanks to its guaranteed lowest fares and no fuel surcharges. Ryanair confirmed that while passenger traffic is falling in Malta, Ryanair continues to grow. Ryanair based operations would dramatically increase this passenger growth if it was supported by Malta Tourism Authority.

Ryanair’s Ken O’Toole said:

“Ryanair has provided a rescue plan to the Malta Tourism Authority which would see Ryanair base two aircraft and deliver in excess of 1 million additional passengers to sustain 1,000 local jobs in Malta.

Today we call on the Malta Tourism Authority to work with Ryanair to promote the island internationally and allow us to deliver 1 million of high spending international tourists to Malta which will generate over €275 million in tourism revenues and protect the future of those working in Malta’s tourism industry.”
Wouter
Wouter
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Back to top Go down

New bases at Malta, Bari and Brindisi? Empty Re: New bases at Malta, Bari and Brindisi?

Post by Wouter Wed 20 May 2009 - 13:40

BoyRyan wrote:New bases at Malta, Bari and
Brindsi

Some articles found today on the net about new bases
in Malta, Bari and Brindisi.

Sources

Malta
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090519/local/ryanair

Bari
and Brindisi
In
Italian
http://www.lagazzettadelmezzogiorno.it/GdM_dallapuglia_NOTIZIA_01.php?IDNotizia=241585&IDCategoria=1

Translation
http://translate.google.nl/translate?prev=hp&hl=nl&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lagazzettadelmezzogiorno.it%2FGdM_dallapuglia_NOTIZIA_01.php%3FIDNotizia%3D241585%26IDCategoria%3D1&sl=it&tl=en&history_state0=
In the article about bases in Brindisi and Bari is an interesting new destination called: Copenhagen!
Let's see if Ryanair really opens three bases...
Wouter
Wouter
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Wed 20 May 2009 - 17:21

My God!! Another Italians??!! Can't believe it!
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair Wed 20 May 2009 - 19:18

Also MOL today said he will open another base in Germany. Where?!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0520/breaking35.htm
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by danieln Wed 20 May 2009 - 21:28

ruinair wrote:Also MOL today said he will open another base in Germany. Where?!

No idea. Negotiations with Cologne-Bonn airport have failed last week.

Google News (in German) has no articles about a possibl new base in germany.
danieln
danieln
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Wed 20 May 2009 - 21:32

If something which exist as a FR's destination it could be Lubeck (strong potential), Schonefeld (really large battle with Easy Jet) or Memmigen which suprisingly appears last weeks :-) What will you bet guys?
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by danieln Thu 21 May 2009 - 7:13

I go for Memmingen. I have read yesterday that it changed it's name to "Munich West". Sounds like a typical condition for a base to me.
danieln
danieln
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Thu 21 May 2009 - 8:41

I go for Berlin - correct my If I am wrong, but isn't Memmingen already a base? I would say in overall numbers, Berlin would be higher.

Could attract the business travellers who go frequently with BA...
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 233
Location : London, UK. Nearest Base: STN -- HOME OF LOW FARES!
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Thu 21 May 2009 - 10:29

The base is an airport where FR's aircrafts spend nights in. As far as I saw in booking system Memmingen is still only a destination.
Berlin could be good idea. Hope if they would open a base there, they would open short SXF-WRO route (daily, double daily?) as something like a domestic flight. This would cause cheapest fares and good connections as well :-)
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by King of Ryanland Fri 22 May 2009 - 9:15

I would go for Memmingen too. The potential is gigantic and practically zero competition on site. Its proximity to Munich also gives them chances to win passengers to the Bavarian capital.

By the way, MOL has said he is very satisfied with the number of bookings to and from Memmingen, and the winter schedule is still not complete. So chances are intact that Memmingen will start of in October as a base. Time will tell, as usual!
King of Ryanland
King of Ryanland
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Fri 22 May 2009 - 18:38

Maybe Ryanair might simply open a base at Berlin and Memmingen! Ryanair have got many bases in Spain and Italy - time for the German market to expand.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair Sat 23 May 2009 - 12:14

noted but I think FR are rightly focussing on Spain and Italy for future growth. Alitalia is finished in Italy. When I was in Alicante recently there were many FR flights to all over Europe and Iberia were only flying internally within Spain so i think Iberia are doomed too. In Germany FR compete with Air Berlin and Germanwings who are both very good airlines. In Italy there is no domestic low fares competitor for FR, and in Spain there is only Clickair who are small.

ps looks like Memmingen has an 8% load factor ... http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/simon-calder-no-scrum-for-the-xv-flying-to-munich-west-1689478.html

Last edited by ruinair on Sat 23 May 2009 - 13:48; edited 1 time in total
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Sat 23 May 2009 - 13:36

Well... Iberia is a hub-system airline, so they're flying from smaller airports to hub (Madrid for example) first and then to some destination. No comparrision in my opinion Wink
As far as I know Clickair will soon be closed. I mean it will be connected with Vueling and fly under that name.
In Italy there is small company called MyAir which surprised several times with €1 tickets. They are flying on both domestic (Venice, Foggia, Catania, Bari, Bergamo) as well as international (Bucharest, Morocco, Spain, Charles de Gaulle) routes :-)
Alitalia is finishing, yes, but I hope and don't think they will finish in few weeks. I mean they've had an offer for summer flights from Poland to Italy in very good prices and many of my friends have choosen that ones Wink Even if aliatalia survive, it's in poor condition right now, so it's good time to do some overtaken of italian market in my opinion Wink About Spain hm... it's also interesting market, but where would they open another base? I might bet for Santander (still is growing up) or Seville. Maybe some smaller cities like Santiago. Valladolid and Zaragoza won't be because of small distance to other bases. And the other popular places like Malaga, Teneriffe, Palma or Ibiza? They don't care... As long as there are many tourists and flights who would think about lowering airport prices, donations and lowering self profits? Same situation with Porto, Paris and Torp or Treviso - many flights but locals are not interested with donations. But maybe Venice considering to last Italian trend? Wink
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sat 23 May 2009 - 14:24

I am often in Seville, and I am flying there on Tuesday. And I would say in the evening, there are around 6-8 flights with Ryanair. The rest are to Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Bilbao, and Paris. Apart from that, Ryanair does the rest!

They have quite a good set up there, a desinated ticketsales desk located directly opposite about 10 check-in desks. With plenty of seating.

I would say Seville would make a excellent base for aircraft.

Air Berlin and Germanwings are both very good, but Ryanair I think has a advantage over them - lower costs. Germanwings is part of Lufthansa, and I can't help but think about the BA and Go partnership, and failure.

Air Berlin is more expensive, and honestly - it is like a full-fare airline. Shame about the prices though.

Completely agree that Alitaila are finished, just waiting for them to finally give up.

Iberia are also on their way out, Clickair has a reputation for being unsafe, http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article1869862.ece. Hence the merger with Vueling... although low-cost airlines in Spain haven't been very warmly welcomed (see Spanair, August 2008)

Is Beauvais a base or not?
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Sat 23 May 2009 - 20:49

The only Ryanair base in France is at Marseille - Beauvais is not an FR base.
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2351
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by King of Ryanland Sat 23 May 2009 - 21:45

amnesia wrote:As far as I know Clickair will soon be closed. I mean it will be connected with Vueling and fly under that name.

That has practically already happened. And together they are even more doomed than before! Why doesn´t Ryanair paint "Bye bye Vueling" on a plane? Very Happy
I know that Ryanair had interests in setting up a base in Seville, but they seem not to have found an agreement so far.
Porto is still a very very hot spot and Ryanair could boost that airports traffic within months. Only problem: TAP Air Portugal, those buggars!
When Beauvais has the CAT III runway and the new terminal is built it will become a base! Wait and see, there´s still at least two years to go.
King of Ryanland
King of Ryanland
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by MrHoyt Sat 23 May 2009 - 21:54

Beauvais will be closed from June 3rd to June 9th for the installation of new landing equipment.
MrHoyt
MrHoyt
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 24 May 2009 - 11:40

Adios Vueling! Definitely needs to be painted on a Ryanair plane!

I think Ryanair should seriously consider a base at Paris, hopefully they are. Just waiting for the landing equipment to be installed.

Seville eventually will be a base, just a matter of time hopefully!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Sun 24 May 2009 - 15:24

Yeah, I was curious what is happen with SVQ as this airport has large amout of FR's routes... I thought it might be in same position as Palma with many tourists and flights from other airlines, but apparently not.
If the only problem with Paris is the technical equipment, then yes, it probable will be a base soon, and I think a large base! Hope it'll serve Wroclaw as well as I see no possibility to get to France cheap now Sad
I think there was some discution about Porto about year ago wasn't it? Shame it's not a base as it could bring really large amout of flights!
Anyway, as I've mentioned few months ago - the company should focus on east as well. I mean Ukraine with large potential in next few years, some bases in Poland or Czech Rep./Slovakia. Also Romania or Hungary should bring some pax and really ununderstandable is why is FR not flying to Greece or Turkey??!!
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 24 May 2009 - 17:11

It would be great for cheap flights to the East of Europe, but unfortunately, going to Ukraine and Russia is difficult - simply because they are not in the Eurozone for aviation (not sure on the correct name, but some pact not allowing flights or something like that) the only flights to Ukraine or Russia would have to be from Dublin.

Poland would be excellent, and I am sure they are planning something there...

Czech Rep/Slovakia too need a base.

I think the only reason why they don't serve those destinations is because of a certain pact protecting those countries national carriers. Although, I can not remember the name!!!

I would hope certain countries would join the EU, makes life easier for everyone.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Sun 24 May 2009 - 19:18

Yes, you're right about this, let's name it "pact" :-) But Wizzair has found a resolution for it and opened a branch called Wizzair Ukraine. They've opened a one plane base in Kiev, were serving domestic flights for 4 or 5 months and now have all rights to flight between Ukraine and EU Wink
Anyway, has anyone hear any new info about MLQ, BRI or Brindisi?
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanAdmin Sun 24 May 2009 - 19:31

ruinair wrote:noted but I think FR are rightly focussing on Spain and Italy for future growth. Alitalia is finished in Italy. When I was in Alicante recently there were many FR flights to all over Europe and Iberia were only flying internally within Spain so i think Iberia are doomed too. In Germany FR compete with Air Berlin and Germanwings who are both very good airlines. In Italy there is no domestic low fares competitor for FR, and in Spain there is only Clickair who are small.

ps looks like Memmingen has an 8% load factor ... http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/simon-calder-no-scrum-for-the-xv-flying-to-munich-west-1689478.html

Maybe something for a new book... Wink?
RyanAdmin
RyanAdmin
FR Admin
FR Admin

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 24 May 2009 - 22:45

Amnesia Wink I think you understand - I just didn't want to embarrass myself... Wink

I just don't think Ryanair wants to start a "Ryanukraine" or "Ryanrussia" right now...

But hopefully things will move forward, and hopefully Ryanair might be able to start flying to the eastern europe gems!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Mon 25 May 2009 - 7:58

Don't worry, I'm also sure there is no possibility to see such a thing like RyanairUkraine. Even for a simple case - all of thier planes have EI- registrations Wink
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down