Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Airport(s) Development Tax (Knock Airport)

+4
Ryanairflyer
ruinair
amnesia
ChesterFlyer
8 posters

Go down

Irish Airport(s) Development Tax (Knock Airport) Empty Irish Airport(s) Development Tax (Knock Airport)

Post by ChesterFlyer Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 9:45

Like most RYA frequent flyers we all probably chase after the £1 flights or as near as dam it. I flew yesterday, 01 July 09 from Liverpool to Knock, I had 4 euros with me as I had another flt from Knock to Stansted with a couple of hours there and no desire to purchase nowt.

However, when it came to departure, I was hit with a 10 Euro Airport develpment tax, a tax by the Irish government not Ryanair.

I had my plastic with me so was able to pay the tax, if I hadn't then I wouldn't fly.

Made my way to the Ryanair desk to find out what the score was re this tax too be informed, 'nowt to do with us , it's a government tax'. I can appreciate that, my gripe was no information on the Ryanair website to inform you to pay this tax at the airport or your flt wouldn't happen, I wonder how many flyers like myself have nearly came unstuck.

Strange how Dublin doesn't hit you with this tax at the airport, I assume Ryanair absorb this 10 Euro charge - or am I wrong?

Anyone know re Cork and this tax, I'm flying there next week?

Regards

ChesterFlyer
ChesterFlyer
ChesterFlyer
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Irish Airport(s) Development Tax (Knock Airport) Empty Re: Irish Airport(s) Development Tax (Knock Airport)

Post by amnesia Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 11:22

You mean you've booked the flight without €10 Irish tax and then they've forced you to pay in order to not departure from Know, right? If yes, I would go to inform the court about this. I don't care who's fall is that, I was cheated this way. And second of all, I would inform media about that fact. They like that kind of rush very much, so you might be repaid very fast :-)
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Irish Airport(s) Development Tax (Knock Airport) Empty Re: Irish Airport(s) Development Tax (Knock Airport)

Post by ruinair Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 11:30

Your are a little confused I think ....
1. there is a an Irish govt departure tax of €10 which we all pay when we leave Ireland from all airports in ireland. it seems that FR is absorbing this tax on some special fare deals so you can avoid paying it sometimes.
2. in addition there is an Airport Development tax which only Knock Airport charges, payable in cash when you leave Knock airport. you cannot avoid paying this tax in Knock airport or else you dont fly ... no other airports in Ireland charge an airport development tax. Knock is so small it needs to charge it i think.
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Irish Airport(s) Development Tax (Knock Airport) Empty Irish Airport(s) Development Tax (Knock Airport)

Post by ChesterFlyer Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 12:09

Cheers for the clarification re the two taxes, looks like RYR absorbed the tax on my particular flight, but my gripe was that RYR, does not inform the travelling public about the 10 Euro airport development tax at Knock, i.e 'please be advised etc.' or have I missed it somewhere on the website?

Regards

ChesterFlyer
ChesterFlyer
ChesterFlyer
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 13:15

I witnessed this @ one uk airport NQY (newquay) but were not advised by ryanair... we paid a development charge of £5 per passenger, I have flew to Dublin many times the last yesterday and have not paid any taxes.
I am due to fly MAN>DUB>ORK return next week.. do you think i will be charged at cork.. i am also booked for a flight which will involve shannon in the near future.

Just read above taxes are only active in knock -thanks
Ryanairflyer
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ChesterFlyer Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 13:31

Hi,
Re Shannon, no airport tax, have flown out of there 3 times over the past 2 weeks and about 10 times since January this year, in fact flying into/out of this Saturday. There is a viewing spectators/facility which is only gained by using the lift (no stairs to it - there is a red light by the buttons in the lift, if it's lit there is no access to the viewing area - just go airside if flying out instead) which has a drinks/sweet machine in it, prior to going up to it there is a small supermarket type shop (Londis brand) where you can use the help yourself to hot drinks machine at a reasonable price.

Friend of mine has used Cork and last reported no extra charge, I'm there on 8 July myself in/out.
HTH

ChesterFlyer
ChesterFlyer
ChesterFlyer
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 14:13

viewing area at Shannon cool..these things are becoming a thing of the past due to security.

Dave
Ryanairflyer
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 14:47

The "development tax" at Knock is unique on the FR net, I think, and is a well known feature at that airport.

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/airportguide/airportdevelopmentfee.aspx

What happens if I do not pay the Development Fee?
The Airport reserves the right to refuse to handle any passenger unless he/she has paid the Fee.
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2351
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ChesterFlyer Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 15:03

atoutprix wrote:The "development tax" at Knock is unique on the FR net, I think, and is a well known feature at that airport.

Well re the quote, may well be known in the area but if your relying on your airline to inform you (which I noticed the authorities have asked - according to your link) then Ryanair haven't bothered - unless you know different?

Regards

ChesterFlyer
ChesterFlyer
ChesterFlyer
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 15:35

A similar story is told by Philip Nolan in his book "Ryanland", published in 2007.

Quote :
"After a coffee in the sunny airport café, I make for the departure lounge, where a woman approaches me.
"Can I have your 10 euros departure fee, please ?", she asks.
" I beg your pardon."
"10 euros" she says again. " You have to pay 10 euros to leave."
I am utterly gobsmacked. It never said so on the Ryanair website, I point out.
"No, we have asked them to put up a note about it, but they have not done so", she says.
"And what if I choose not to pay ?" i ask.
"Then, I am afraid you won't be flying today", comes the answer.
So I do pay, and take the explanatory leaflet, which tells me the fee goes to providing (...) everything that every airport in the world provides without the need for a supplementary development fee.
(...)
But hitting me at departures for a tenner is cheap and grubby; I have no choice but to hand it over, but I would sooner fly into the Cliffs of Moher than ever use Knock again."
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2351
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanAdmin Fri 10 Jul 2009 - 18:16

atoutprix wrote:The "development tax" at Knock is unique on the FR net, I think, and is a well known feature at that airport.

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/airportguide/airportdevelopmentfee.aspx

What happens if I do not pay the Development Fee?
The Airport reserves the right to refuse to handle any passenger unless he/she has paid the Fee.

I think it's not only unique on the FR network, it is unique in the world!

Never heard somethins stupid like this!
RyanAdmin
RyanAdmin
FR Admin
FR Admin

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Globemaster Fri 10 Jul 2009 - 20:56

............CYVR (Vancouver International) has had an Airport Improvement Fee in place since the early 1990s. The fee is not collected by any airline - you must purchase your piece of paper before going through security. JK
Globemaster
Globemaster
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanairflyer1987 Tue 20 Sep 2011 - 0:15

I flew Liverpool to Knock on 07/09 with Ryanair. Doing my usual random flights. It was the 1st time i had flown to Knock and was not expecting any problems. I was flying BmiBaby back to Manchester and as i was going through to security i was slammed with a 10 euro government tax otherwise " I wont be flying today sir!". I had £5 cash and no card on me. Luckily i took my new laptop on my trip which was a 1st and managed to ask my partner by email to send me his bank details. If i had left my laptop at home i would of been stranded till 09/09. So if you are traveling to Knock (Which i dont advise as there's nothing there anyway) please make sure you have 10 euros or plastic.
ryanairflyer1987
ryanairflyer1987
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down