Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryanair increases check-in bag allowance from 1 to 2 bags

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ryanair increases check-in bag allowance from 1 to 2 bags Empty Ryanair increases check-in bag allowance from 1 to 2 bags

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sat 5 Sep 2009 - 21:56

Hi,

I read this today:

Ryanair increases check-in bag allowance from 1 to 2 bags

from 1 October 2009

All bag charges to rise as fares fall 20%

Ryanair, the World’s favourite airline, today (4th Sept) announced a series of changes to its baggage policies and charges which will come into effect for all new bookings from 1st October 2009 onwards. These changes reflect the fact that Ryanair’s average fares have fallen by 20% this year, from €40 to €32 – resulting in Ryanair’s 67 million passengers saving over €530million p.a.

From 1st October Ryanair passengers may, if they wish, travel with 2 checked in bags (which can be paid for at the time of booking). Each bag will have a separate 15KG allowance which will allow passengers to travel with up to 30KG of checked in baggage – double the current allowance of 15KG.

Ryanair is also increasing its checked in baggage and excess baggage fees for travel from 1st October as part of the airlines programme to encourage passengers to travel with carry on luggage only. All passengers can avoid these optional checked in baggage fees by travelling with carry on baggage only.

Optional Charge
On Internet
At airport
1st Checked in bag 15KG
£/€15
£/€30
2nd Checked in bag 15KG
£/€35
£/€70
Sports Equipment
£/€40
£/€50
Excess Bag fees (per kilo)
N/A
£/€20

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“Ryanair continues to reduce air fares – saving our passengers over €530m this year alone. In order to persuade passengers to travel with carry on bags only and to defray the cost of some of these fare reductions we are increasing baggage allowances and fees with effect from 1st October. These baggage fees are all avoidable by all passengers who choose to travel with carry on luggage only. Over 70% of Ryanair passengers will be totally unaffected by these changes as they already travel with just one carry on bag, which is free of charge.”

What does it mean? So If I pay for "one bag", I can take two? Total weight 30 kilos? As if I wanted two bags, I would just pay for two bags?!?! Why release a press release for this? Other than it is going to cost me more now Sad
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 233
Location : London, UK. Nearest Base: STN -- HOME OF LOW FARES!
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Ryanair increases check-in bag allowance from 1 to 2 bags Empty Re: Ryanair increases check-in bag allowance from 1 to 2 bags

Post by EchoVictorOscar Sat 5 Sep 2009 - 23:21

All it is, is that the prices went up slightly. But in addition, you're allowed 30kgs combined (15 each) with 2 bags whereas before it was a max 15kgs combined. All in all, it's good for passengers.
EchoVictorOscar
EchoVictorOscar
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Ryanair increases check-in bag allowance from 1 to 2 bags Empty Re: Ryanair increases check-in bag allowance from 1 to 2 bags

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 11:43

Excuse my ignorance... so when I make a booking after these charges are brought in, and I select "one bag". I can take, two - each weighing 15 kilos, with the total 30 kilos?!?!

I really hope so!!!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Globemaster Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 13:52

.........Nick - how do you come up with that ???????!!!!!!! The table above says, one bag will cost you £15 (maximum 15kgs) - two bags will cost you £50 (maximum 15kgs in each). JK
Globemaster
Globemaster
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 14:29

Sorry Sad it's just why release a press release about it? When if I wanted two bags, I would just pay for two?!?!?!?!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Globemaster Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 15:30

...............I guess the press release is necessary because the whole set-up has changed. As you know, currently you can check-in three bags but with a maximum combined weight of only 15kgs. There has been so much squawking about only being allowed a maximum of 15kgs, except when you choose to pay £15 per kg excess at the airport, they now want to tell the world about the 30kgs limit, and what it will cost. They'll say £35/£70 is much better than (N/A)/£245. Way to go ! - ' everyone's a winner ' !!!! JK
Globemaster
Globemaster
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 15:35

Still... the price has gone up, and they say I can take 30 kilos (in two bags) for £50.

Fair enough! Although, it appears (and from many news websites) I can now take 30 kilos!!! However, this isn't the case Sad

But if two passengers were on my booking. I would just put a bag on me, and a bag on the other one. Saving money.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 15:37

Why not release a more clearer "Ryanair raises baggage charges". As, I could already take 30 kilos anyway. I just have to pay for two bags.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Globemaster Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 15:49

................actually, yesterday's Telegraph headline was ' Ryanair puts up luggage fee to £30 ' - and then goes into all the details. !!!!!!

Anyway, we all just play the system as it is made available - and you and I know how to do it !!!!

Cheers, JK
Globemaster
Globemaster
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 16:34

Taken from the Daily Record, not my first choice in news...

"From October 1, it will be £15 online and £30 at the airport. The charge for second bags will soar from £20 to £35 online, and from £20 to £70 at the airport.
There are also increases for taking sports gear.
Ryanair softened the blow by doubling the luggage allowance from 15kg to 30kg."

I geuss it is another, wait and see thing - like you say; play the system once it is out there Wink
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 17:24

Basically, the cost of checking in 1 bag rises by 50 per cent from next month, and by up to 250 per cent for a second bag .... Sad
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Globemaster Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 17:49

.............agreed, ' ruinair ', but I think to make that full % comparison statement, you have to add that the total weight allowance is increased by 100% JK
Globemaster
Globemaster
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 17:55

Well, the weight actually remains unchanged:

One passenger, one bag: £20 = 15 kilos
One passenger, two bags: £60 = 30 kilos

Now...

One passenger, one bag: £30 = 15 kilos
One passenger, two bags: £100 = 30 kilos

Nothing has changed, apart from the price. I did think that "one bag" meant 2 bags, with a maximum weight of 15 kilos each - total 30. But that was too good to be true!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Globemaster Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 18:48

.......Nick - where do you read that, right now, one passenger can check-in two bags (total 30kgs) for £60 ??? Looking at the current fee schedule, one passenger can check-in up to three bags but the combined weight can not be more than 15kgs. JK
Globemaster
Globemaster
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 18:53

Globemaster, when you make a booking, after selecting flights you get to the "Services" page; asking for name, how many bags, priority and insurance.

Select two bags, and that gives the passenger the right to take two bags; each must be 15 kilos or under.

If I wanted to take 3 bags, I can (total 45 kilos) but it would cost £100.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 18:55

I think I am mistaken! They only allow a maximum of 15 kilos per passenger? So even if I pay for two bags, the max is 7.5 per bag?
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 18:58

Bottom line - from 1st October, if you want 2 bags. £100 with a maximum weight of 30 kilos. If you want 1 bag, £30 with a maximum weight of 15 kilos?
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Globemaster Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 19:07

.......OK - I see the form for baggage when booking a flight but if you click on the baggage info section you get this message - ' Please note that there is a 15kg checked baggage allowance per person (excluding infants). Whilst passengers can check-in up to 3 bags per person the combined weight of these bags must not exceed 15kg per person Any passenger wishing to check-in baggage exceeding their 15kg personal checked baggage allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable rate per kilo. (Click here for rate details) ' JK
Globemaster
Globemaster
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Globemaster Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 19:09

.....sorry, we crossed - your last post is correct. JK
Globemaster
Globemaster
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 19:12

So, £100 for 30 kilos... I think that is completely overpriced, considering EZY do 20 kilos for £18...
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Globemaster Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 19:21

.................yes, but for how long ! - it would seem that easyJ may have to have a re-think on a few charges soon !!! Must go - news and cricket - good to talk. JK
Globemaster
Globemaster
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 6 Sep 2009 - 19:25

I never considered that... Sleasyjet probably will have to change those charges. Well, I can't imagine why anyone would pay for "2 bags" when they can't be over 15 kilos COMBINED!!!

Still £70 to pay for another 15 kilos, is outrageous!!! It should be no more than £40!

Likewise, nice to talk to you as well!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoVictorOscar Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 0:11

. As, I could already take 30 kilos anyway.

No you couldn't, unless you wanted to pay for 15kg in excess baggage. The max was previously 15kg. This really isn't difficult to understand. So once more, to clarify: The prices went slightly up and now you can take twice as much weight as you could before with two separate pieces of luggage, ie. 15+15 kg. (You cannot take 30 kilos in one item. The max weight per item is 15kg)

Still £70 to pay for another 15 kilos, is outrageous!!!

This is only if you turn up at the airport and decide to put a second bag in the hold. It is not €70 online. The media has made it out that if you want to bring 2 bags on a Ryanair flight, that you have to pay €105, which is completely untrue, unless one is stupid enough to wait until you get to the airport to decide you want to put luggage in the hold.

The fact is that 90% of Ryanair passengers don't put anything in the hold, but instead bring the allocated 10kg of hand luggage (one of the biggest allowances amongst competitors) and therefore it does not affect them. For the 10% who it does affect, they should make sure they book any luggage online. But ultimately, the customer wins - you can now bring double the amount that you could before.

Last edited by neilk2304 on Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 0:16; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra material)
EchoVictorOscar
EchoVictorOscar
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 7:39

According to Ryanair, only 70% of their passengers carry only one piece of hand luggage and not 90. I know that most of us are Ryanair fans (me too), but the most important thing to underline is the 50% increase for a passenger travelling with one bag in the hold (which is probably the most common case just after the passengers without checked luggage) and the 33% increase of the extra kg, which was already overpriced. We don't have to forget the online check-in fee that also goes directly to Ryanair.
The only custommers that win are the few ones with 2 pieces of luggage of 15kg each, they will pay €/£50 instead of €/£30+15x15}=€/£255.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Mon 7 Sep 2009 - 8:43

My mistake! I do understand that no matter which way you do it; the maximum is 15 kilos. In one, two, or three bags!

I was on a recent flight to Stansted from Faro and everyone had bags.

So now, what is the price to take two 15 kilo bags?

Thank you.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum