Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryanair to Close Dusseldorf (Weeze) Base

+6
jqjjq
amnesia
Wouter
atoutprix
ryr-nick-fr
RyanAdmin
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ryanair to Close Dusseldorf (Weeze) Base Empty Ryanair to Close Dusseldorf (Weeze) Base

Post by RyanAdmin Wed 22 Apr 2009 - 21:11

AS COURT INJUNCTION BLOCKS FLIGHT TAKE-OFFS/LANDINGS

2.5m Passengers + 2,500 Local Jobs to be Lost if Injunction is not Overturned

Ryanair, Europe’s leading low fares airline, today (22Apr)
confirmed that it will close its base at Dusseldorf-Weeze with the loss
of 2.5m Passengers and 2,500 local jobs if the decision by the OVG
Court in Munster to restrict the airport’s operating hours is not
overturned.

Ryanair has today stopped accepting bookings on all flights
affected by the change in the airport’s operating hours. The airline
will review the Court’s decision with the Airport and its lawyers but
confirmed that the base will close if the court decision to restrict
operating hours is not overturned by Wednesday 29th April.

Ryanair currently operates 6 based aircraft at Dusseldorf –Weeze,
which deliver 2.5m passengers p.a. and sustain 2,500 local jobs, most
of which will be lost if Ryanair closes its base at the airport.

Ryanair’s Deputy Chief Executive, Michael Cawley, said:

“Ryanair and Dusseldorf-Weeze airport have been a huge success
story for the entire region. We have grown our routes and passenger
numbers rapidly but the OVG Court decision will result in the loss of
2,500 local jobs and Ryanair’s 2.5million passengers p.a. if this
unworkable, unfair and unnecessary restriction to operating times is
enforced.

From today Ryanair will no longer be accepting bookings on affected flights to/from Dusseldorf-Weeze for travel after 2nd May. If the decision to restrict the airport is not overturned by Wednesday 29th
April we will announce a plan to withdraw our base at Dusseldorf Weeze
as it will be impossible to operate our schedule with these
restrictions in place. ”
RyanAdmin
RyanAdmin
FR Admin
FR Admin

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Ryanair to Close Dusseldorf (Weeze) Base Empty Re: Ryanair to Close Dusseldorf (Weeze) Base

Post by ryr-nick-fr Thu 23 Apr 2009 - 9:17

I really hope they don't close it... but I thought that about the Canary Island base, and Valencia. But this is one of the biggest and best!

Hopefully the OVG will come to their senses.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 233
Location : London, UK. Nearest Base: STN -- HOME OF LOW FARES!
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Ryanair to Close Dusseldorf (Weeze) Base Empty Re: Ryanair to Close Dusseldorf (Weeze) Base

Post by atoutprix Thu 23 Apr 2009 - 19:52

For those who speak German ( I don't !) a longer story :

http://www.rp-online.de/public/article/wirtschaft/699977/Ryanair-will-Weeze-schliessen.html

If somebody can make a summary, thanks in advance !
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2351
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wouter Sat 25 Apr 2009 - 16:15

@ atoutprix: I made a translation (I hope you can read it Smile )

Lowcost Airline gives court an ultimatum

Ryanair to close Weeze

BY C. KUHS, J. LOOSEN AND U. TÜCKMANTEL – last edited: 22.04.2009 - 21:33

Düsseldorf (RP). The Irish Lowcost airline Ryanair, famous for its rustic style of negotiations, gives the Münster court an ultimatum: if it’s not aloud anymore to land on Airport Weeze after 23.30, the base will be closed.

The Northrhine-Westphalia airports in comparison

Up to 2.5 million passengers would be affected and hundreds of jobs in danger. The responsiveness of the Düsseldorf district government didn’t pass the Higher Court in Münster: Just one day after the decision of the Higher Court to shorten the opening times at Airport Weeze from 5.30 to 23.30, the court made a further shorten of opening times, due to several local residents who had complaint about sound and wind nuisance: it is now aloud to start between 6 o’clock and 22 o’clock, and landings are aloud until 23 o’clock. Therefore, the airport has to edit their flightplan in the next 10 days.

The Irish lowcost carrier Ryanair, wich uses Airport Weeze as second biggest German base with six based airplanes, gives yesterday afternoon an ultimatum: if the court decision will not be turned back before next Wednesday, Ryanair will close their base at Weeze.
Wouter
Wouter
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 26 Apr 2009 - 11:42

Does anyone think that Ryanair are going to close the base? Nothing has happened, and it seems that Wednesday will be a very dark day for Ryanair.

44 destinations to be closed? That simply can't happen!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Sun 26 Apr 2009 - 12:54

some (like for example STN-NRN, or DUB-NRN) will be replaced by aircrafts starting from that bases, so it won't be closed at all...
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 26 Apr 2009 - 13:07

Similar situation at Valencia? The STN based aircraft still flies the route, just not a base. What is the difference for based and non-based aircraft in terms of time restrictions? I thought it was 22:00 last landing/takeoff for non-based aircraft. And 23:00 last landing/takeoff for based aircraft? Why is it a problem to make sure that all flights land earlier than 23:00?

I wanted to vist Dusseldorf, and the other airlines are just too expensive!!!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by jqjjq Sun 26 Apr 2009 - 15:25

I think for based airlines, the limit is 23:30. The problem arises when, given Ryanair's policy for short turnarounds, the aircraft gets delayed somewhere. A ten minute delay would result in the plane not being able to land, hotel rooms for the crew, and coaches for the passengers. Just a few minutes could be costly.
jqjjq
jqjjq
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Sun 26 Apr 2009 - 17:06

Yes, but Ryanair has extended times of travel, so if they have 25 minutes for turnaround, they usually arriving a lot before the scheduled time at almost every airport.
In the other hand, if the aircraft is scheduled to land at let's say 2300hrs and is delayed (for any reason), that is not a problem.
2300 could also be ok, but personally it was better for me to land at HHN or DUB at 2330 hrs as then I spent less time waiting for another time (HHN) or more time in Poland before I came back to work in Ireland Wink
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Sun 26 Apr 2009 - 17:45

I never considered that if the plane departs late, hotels for 195 people might get quite expensive...

I just hope the OVG decides not to go through with this, but I think the OVG won't change their mind...

It seems time to say Auf Widershen Neiderhein Sad

It's going to be a very sad day for the area, and for Ryanair.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Mon 27 Apr 2009 - 16:16

If Neiderhein closes, what about the possibility of Flughafen Dortmund opening as a new base? Closer to Dusseldorf than Eindhoven?
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by King of Ryanland Mon 27 Apr 2009 - 17:21

That's a very good point with Dortmund. Had forgotten about that airport, which is basically seeing its traffic in freefall:

NRN: RWY 09/27 2440m long
DTM: RWY 06/24 2000m long

And don't forget Cologne/Bonn airport. There have always been rumours about Ryanair wanting to start flights from there:

CGN: longest RWY 14L/32R 3815m

I would still rather see Ryanair keep up the good work at Weeze. I just like the concept of the airport and would really miss flying there!
King of Ryanland
King of Ryanland
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Mon 27 Apr 2009 - 18:10

I don't have any other information, but I am quite sure that NRN is going to close, I just can't see the OVG or any goverment giving into a airline! It shows that they are weak and give in far too easily! They are going to stand their ground; even though it is unfair!

I don't know if Cologne-Bonn airport is a high-cost base, considering that is used by all the high-fare-fuel-surcharging-rip-off carriers.

But Dortmund, was an Easyjet base, I think they still have a presence there - from checking on Wikipedia; they are the only airline to serve this destination from London.

It is certainly looking bright for that airport - just need to get the name to be Dusseldorf-Dortmund!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Mon 27 Apr 2009 - 19:10

Closing a base does not mean canceling all flights from that airport.
A good example is Valencia. Less flights, perhaps - and originating from outside, thus at less convenient hours - but still quite a number of flights.
Don't let's abandon all hope for Weeze!
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2351
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Mon 27 Apr 2009 - 19:16

That is true, does anyone know exactly how many flights are going to be affected?

I often fly to Seville from Stansted, and when I am coming back at check-in, I see that the flight to Weeze is ALWAYS full, and I believe this is a affected flight.

But Weeze has 2.5 million passengers p.a, Valencia only had about 700,000? (not 100% on that figure)

It would make sense though to make a base at Dortmund if the worst happens at Weeze.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by flcheape Mon 27 Apr 2009 - 21:25

It's simple, if NRN is not a base any more, there will be only flights from other FR bases. So just STN, GRO, CIA...but it's not even sure because for the moment there is only rotations from aircrafts based in NRN so no schedule in the other bases forseen for NRN flight...So If FR close the base, it's mean no flight at least until the winter season. Sad for the airport and the area...But a persistant rumour is saying that a white and red German company is since long time having view on NRN, I think that they want to invest more,more in regional airports, like they just did in Münster/Osnabruck.They do advertisment with a space shuttle taking off... I think the message is clear enough...
Anonymous
flcheape

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Mon 27 Apr 2009 - 21:33

I had a feeling another airline was involved...playing the innocent bystander act. Never works.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by guest Mon 27 Apr 2009 - 21:50

flights to Birmingham are still continuing Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Tue 28 Apr 2009 - 8:25

The one thing we have forgotten is that the company must have some regulations in their agreements with NRN airport. You know, nobody would like to give it's sign without some point telling that company may not close it's base just like that. This would mean the airport's managers are just stupid and works like in LOT company Wink So this is the point why FR may not close it's base so fast... The other is, that the company may have no empty slots so even if move it's planes somewhere else, may not use it.
About Dortmund.... might be good for me Wink There was connection from WRO by Wizzair, but has been closed because Poznan (the base of this aircraft) need it for some other operation. But isn't this airport a base of some GermanWings, Air Berlin or other so-called-but-not-very-truly low fares comp?
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Tue 28 Apr 2009 - 9:14

I think FR will close Weeze if the ruling isn't retracted, which in true light - they have today to change it.

I think if FR moved the planes to "Dusseldorf Dortmund", load factors would remain very high.

After all, I would say a high percentage of passengers flying into Weeze are going to Dusseldorf! Perhaps 15% staying in the local area for business/family.

Easyjet retracted the base at Dortmund, but still have a presence. Air Berlin have a base there and so does Germanwings.

But M'OL likes a good fight!

Wilkommen Dusseldorf Dortmund! - Auf Widershen Dusseldorf Weeze!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying D Tue 28 Apr 2009 - 19:42

I really dislike yhe way Ryanair is handling this issue.
I shoild leave on saterday and come back the 12th of may after 23.00 hours.
No one @ Ryanair wants to say to me if the flights wille go, from Weeze or from an alternative
airport or that they will cancel the flight.
They are also not prepared to give me my money back.
I think the way they handle this issue is very customer unfriendly and this will be the last time I will fly with them, if they ?
When I speak to their customer services (no service at all) I get they feeling they won't fly
and won't compensate all their customers who will have to stay home.

I am very angry.
Anonymous
Flying D

Back to top Go down

Post by King of Ryanland Tue 28 Apr 2009 - 20:15

Flying D wrote:I think the way they handle this issue is very customer unfriendly and this will be the last time I will fly with them, if they ?
When I speak to their customer services (no service at all) I get they feeling they won't fly
and won't compensate all their customers who will have to stay home.

I am very angry.

Take it easy. The situation is difficult and as soon as the definite result is out, Ryanair will handle and either reimburse or reschedule you. So no need to be cross about their customer service. Give the situation the time needed. No other airline would be any quicker facing a base closure like this.
King of Ryanland
King of Ryanland
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Tue 28 Apr 2009 - 20:24

As told, take it easy - Ryanair are not going to walk away from a airport near to Dusseldorf, Weeze looks like it will close, but there is Eindhoven - and hopefully Dortmund too.

Either way, if the flight isn't going to fly, you will get you're money back. But let's hope that Dortmund becomes a base.

If that happens, you'll fly from there.

Simple!
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by flyimg d Tue 28 Apr 2009 - 22:00

Very easy to say you will get your money back, but not from the hotel i have paid already
for 6 persons.
And Ryanair won't pay me back more then 2300 euro witch I paid for it.
Anonymous
flyimg d

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr Tue 28 Apr 2009 - 22:02

It is easy as they will refund you in full if they can't take you to your destination - conditions of carriage.

It may not be from Weeze, but it will be from a nearby airport, or a refund.
ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next