Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true

+7
keezee
Ryanairflyer
jqjjq
amnesia
allybaba
steve
Globemaster
11 posters

Go down

0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true Empty 0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true

Post by donna1 Mon 2 Mar 2009 - 14:58

My Mother in law called me to say that she had seen chief executive of Ryanair Michael 0'Leary on the TV being Questioned over the extra charges that are added to your flight( on the BBC), he said along the lines why are people winging.

He said if you book a flight with Visa Electron that you do not pay charges, but when you go to pay for a flight with the card, which I had just tried it comes up with card fee £29.32. I looked the Table of fees it states that for a limited time that Visa Electron will be free which it is not.
Anonymous
donna1

Back to top Go down

0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true Empty Visa Electron

Post by Globemaster Mon 2 Mar 2009 - 17:58

...................try again ! - I've just gone through the motions of booking a flight with this type of card and I would not have to pay any fee for using it. JK
Globemaster
Globemaster
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true Empty Re: 0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true

Post by steve Tue 3 Mar 2009 - 8:46

I was definitely charged a fee of £1.50 for booking a one person flight using my Visa Electron Debit card. It did not show up via the booking/paying process but it was there on my statement
steve
steve
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true Empty Re: 0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true

Post by allybaba Tue 3 Mar 2009 - 12:40

The reason for your charge would be a bank charge!
This is charged by your bank because you made a "foreign transaction"

I am guessing you booked a flight originating outwith the UK and not a return from UK to non-UK! (or indeed, UK - UK)

Am I correct?
allybaba
allybaba
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Tue 3 Mar 2009 - 12:52

It's not working like that, unless in Poland. I was booking flight back from Sweden to Poland, from Germany to Spain, inside Spain.... Bank account is in Polish Z³oty and there was no fee at all.
Anyway, I'm also thinking that your £1.50 fee should be caused by your bank. Probable ask staff or customer service what the story is?
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Sat 7 Mar 2009 - 8:30

allybaba wrote:The reason for your charge would be a bank charge!
This is charged by your bank because you made a "foreign transaction"

I am guessing you booked a flight originating outwith the UK and not a return from UK to non-UK! (or indeed, UK - UK)

Am I correct?

Last column is the balance; the £1.50 is a Ryanair charge - not a bank charge on my ELECTRON card

28 Jan 2009Debit Card Service Charge1.5040.70
25 Jan 75.08 EUR @ 1.02942.20
Ryanair Int 000000 Dublin IE72.9642.20

to any doubting Thomas that this was not a Ryanair charge then when I cancelled the flight when RA changed the departure time this showed up on my statement:

07 Feb 2009Debit Card Service Charge Refund1.50106.47
Dublin IE104.97

so it's indesputable that Ryanair charged me a £1.50 fee on a a Visa Electron card and that it was not a bank charge.
steve
steve
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia Sat 7 Mar 2009 - 19:17

hm... strange, I'm curious why does it happend?
amnesia
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jqjjq Sat 7 Mar 2009 - 20:27

Was this flight originating outside of the UK? This has happened to me before - when you book a flight in Euros and your bank account is in Pounds Sterling, Ryanair take some kind of service charge.
jqjjq
jqjjq
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Sun 8 Mar 2009 - 8:58

jqjjq wrote:Was this flight originating outside of the UK? This has happened to me before - when you book a flight in Euros and your bank account is in Pounds Sterling, Ryanair take some kind of service charge.

So why don't they fecking say so on the payment details. They know it's an Electron card and my account details as there is no other card charge added to my payment. Extract below from my itinery:

PAYMENT DETAILS
*********0.00 EUR Total Fare
********45.08 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges
********20.00 EUR Passenger Fee: BAG
********10.00 EUR Passenger Fee: Airport Check in
********75.08 EUR Total Paid

And on the rate of exchange when they took the money they loaded the exchange rate in their favour
2009-01-22January 22, Thursday1.05921 EUR
2009-01-23January 23, Friday1.0653 EUR
2009-01-26January 26, Monday1.0644 EUR
2009-01-27January 27, Tuesday1.06929 EUR
2009-01-28January 28, Wednesday1.07846 EUR

It's nothing short of robbery
steve
steve
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer Sat 13 Jun 2009 - 14:02

my electron cards wont work at this time ..it did last week i booked flights.. i think ryanair have froze this facility.. so we pay using other credit cards thus spending more... maybe its just a system fault but ive been trying for days no joy.
Ryanairflyer
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true Empty Fee

Post by John Wed 17 Jun 2009 - 0:15

Having used the Electron card for all bookings - the £1.50 is a Bank Charge when paying in anything other than UK £

Still not a charge that is fair

Sad
Anonymous
John

Back to top Go down

Post by keezee Fri 26 Jun 2009 - 21:23

i have just used my visa electron card for the first time and had no problms and no charge are you sure you are picking the "visa electron" not the visa card when booking
keezee
keezee
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanAdmin Fri 26 Jun 2009 - 23:01

No extra charges over here
RyanAdmin
RyanAdmin
FR Admin
FR Admin

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true Empty visa electron card

Post by eloise22 Mon 27 Jul 2009 - 18:28

I have NEVER managed to get my visa electron card to work on the Ryanair website. It works fine everywhere else inc other airline websites etc and there's always money in the a/c. It's a carte bleu from LaBanque Postale and I've tried to pay for flights UK - Europe and Europe-UK and tried the English, Irish and French websites. What am I doing wrong?
Anonymous
eloise22

Back to top Go down

Post by IRISHTAXIDRIVER Mon 27 Jul 2009 - 19:42

I have just booked a return flight and a one way flight using my visa electron card for both transactions, and as per usual Ryanair didn't charge me. My electron card is with Halifax and they publish the fact that there is a charge if used for non sterling transactions.
IRISHTAXIDRIVER
IRISHTAXIDRIVER
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair Mon 27 Jul 2009 - 21:10

Isn't it the case that Visa charge you 4.95% whenever you load money onto a Electron card?

This article says no banks in Ireland offer an Electron card and the only option is an entropay virtual card.

http://bargainsireland.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/avoid-the-credit-card-charge-when-booking-with-ryanair/

Last edited by ruinair on Tue 28 Jul 2009 - 11:56; edited 2 times in total
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Master_Dn Mon 27 Jul 2009 - 22:18

For the last time... paying with VISA ELECTRON IS FREE !!!
Your bank / card provider is the one that MAY charge you some kind of tax...
If you say that Visa charges you xx€ to load money to your card, then you must not forget that your computer is running on electrical power, you had to buy the computer, when you print your ticket you use your own paper and ink... you have to pay all of this.
Master_Dn
Master_Dn
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

0'leary on the news saying Visa Electron is free not true Empty Halifax Electron Visa is Free

Post by Sue Tue 28 Jul 2009 - 1:25

The card is FREE to use.

Bank charges £1.50 per € use not £ use.

Never been charged to put money on it

Halifax Electron Card

Go and book more £1 flights - Ryanair needs your money - lol
Anonymous
Sue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down