Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sports equipment weight limit

3 posters

Go down

Sports equipment weight limit Empty Sports equipment weight limit

Post by giantcornishpasty Thu 4 Oct 2012 - 21:56

Hi

I have booked a flight to Marrakech next month departing out of Stansted and will be taking my windsurfing equipment with me. I have payed £50 for the 'sports equipment' option which gives me a weight limit of 20 kg. Initially I thought that my equipment weighed less than 20 kg, but having checked this, it actually weighs nearly 30 kg. I called a ryanair UK agent today to see what could be done and very interestingly I was told by 2 separate agents that I will in fact NOT be charged because of this. However, when I asked to have this confirmed in writing I was told 'that will not be possible' and was abruptly asked if there was anything else I needed help with. I am very suspicious of this since there is no evidence of my conversations and very possible I will arrive at the airport only to be told I will be charged (which works out to about £200 following the £20 per kilo rule). Obviously I am very keen to avoid paying £200, so if someone can help advise me please do.

The agents both enquired as to exactly what sports equipment I would be taking and also how much it weighed before asking me to hold whilst they (presumably) conferred with a supervisor. This makes what I was told feel genuine, but I can't help but feel I am being lured into a trap...

Also do others agree that what I have been told by the agents seems to contradict Ryanairs T&C's?

Many thanks

Steve
giantcornishpasty
giantcornishpasty
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-10-04

Back to top Go down

Sports equipment weight limit Empty Re: Sports equipment weight limit

Post by Ryanairflyer Fri 5 Oct 2012 - 9:16

I agree and like you I would also want some form of confirmation regarding the same. Considering the max allowed is 20kg((Bikes max weight - 30kg)[/b] If agreed, i would have thought they would have added a note on your booking and to be seen on your boarding pass But Any sporting and musical item weighing over the 20 kilos allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable excess baggage rate per kilo.
I would again ask for this to stop any confusion at the airport.
Good luck.

Ryanairflyer
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by giantcornishpasty Fri 5 Oct 2012 - 16:30

Thanks for your help. I just spoke with another agent & asked if I will be charged - they said that because I have selected the 'large sports item' option I will 'definitely' not be charged. Still no closer to getting confirmation of that though - they said there is absolutely no way to get confirmation & referred me to customer services on 0035318121676 but that doesn't even work. I have sent a letter to customer services asking for written confirmation, but I imagine it could be a while before I hear anything back.

If it turns out that I am able to take my kit yet the T&C's state only bicycles can weigh this much then surely this need to be made clearer - the weight limit has to be either 20 kg or 30 kg not both!

The reservations agents don't seem to be able to advise me any further but I don't see any other direct/immediate way of getting in touch with someone who can actually help. Anyone got any ideas?
giantcornishpasty
giantcornishpasty
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by tiberiubc Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 23:01

Hello, I'm almost in the same situation, my windsurf equipment weights 25 kg (5kg more than limit) and I'm not sure it will be treated as a bike. Anyone knows how they deal with windsurf equipment? Steve, please tell me what happened to your flight in the end Smile
tiberiubc
tiberiubc
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down