Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

East Midlands airport runway closed

2 posters

Go down

East Midlands airport runway closed Empty East Midlands airport runway closed

Post by Rory Knight Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 17:58

Spitfired reg G-RRGN has had an undercarriage collapse and EMA.
Ryanair flights all diverted to BHX
next information on EMA website at 18:00
Rory Knight
Rory Knight
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-04-18

Back to top Go down

East Midlands airport runway closed Empty Re: East Midlands airport runway closed

Post by Rory Knight Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 17:59

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20939051
Rory Knight
Rory Knight
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Back to top Go down

East Midlands airport runway closed Empty Re: East Midlands airport runway closed

Post by Ryanairflyer Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 18:14

The pilot has not been seriously injured which is good news- I am not aware of any spitfire based at EGNX curious to know why it was visiting.. more answers will be revealed later i am sure.

I hope the aircraft is not too badly damaged, i have read the aircraft has just had a two year overhaul!... hmmmm landing gear failure so soon after.
Ryanairflyer
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Knight Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 18:35

Flying in from BHX i believe
check out BHX spotters blog and it lists the departure of the flight this afternoon
Rory Knight
Rory Knight
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory Knight Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 19:33

open now
Rory Knight
Rory Knight
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 22:13

Rory Knight wrote:Flying in from BHX i believe
check out BHX spotters blog and it lists the departure of the flight this afternoon

Wink Thanks

Cause-Possible blown tyre.
A spokeswoman for the airport said: ‘The undercarriage of the plane came off after it landed.

‘We have our own on-site fire service - which is a standard regulation - who dealt with the incident swiftly.

‘All flights had to be suspended while the aircraft was recovered from the runway. There were no injuries and flights were diverted to Birmingham in the meantime.’

A spokeswoman for Leicestershire Police added: ‘We were notified by the fire service of the incident but didn't attend.

‘We were called at 3.22pm with a report of an aircraft that had suffered an undercarriage failure.’

A Plane spotter who witnessed the incident, said: 'I was looking at the plane coming in from the motorway end and all of a sudden there was loads of blue lights.

'I got my binoculars out and saw that it had landed on the runway. It was tilted forward but it was intact.

'Radio hams then picked up messages from the airport that said the pilot was fine. There was a couple of fire engines but no fire.

'A couple of Canadian visitors had been watching planes coming in and taking off and they were amazed when I told them the plane involved was a Spitfire.'

The UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said it was aware of the incident and had launched an investigation.

Ryanairflyer
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down