Ryanair Fanclub Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Ruinair' the book published in February 2008

+9
ruinair
fly4w4y
atoutprix
msep003
stevestrac
RyanairGrad
benvs97
FR TROOPER
Ryanairboy
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

'Ruinair' the book published in February 2008 Empty 'Ruinair' the book published in February 2008

Post by ruinair Mon 14 Jan 2008 - 21:03

hello I would like to advise you of a new book to be published in Ireland in February called 'Ruinair'

More information is to be found here http://www.paulkilduff.com/ruinair.htm
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

'Ruinair' the book published in February 2008 Empty Re: 'Ruinair' the book published in February 2008

Post by atoutprix Wed 16 Jan 2008 - 11:04

Thanks for the info.
I have booked a trip to DUB in april (with Ryanair, that goes without saying), I will try and find the book - there are quite a lot of excellent bookshops in Dublin.
From the title, that book doesn't seem to be in praise of our beloved company. We'll see and discuss and contest it if need be !
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2351
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

'Ruinair' the book published in February 2008 Empty Re: 'Ruinair' the book published in February 2008

Post by ruinair Thu 17 Jan 2008 - 20:26

thank you for your interest in the book. I am sure you will find a copy on sale in April in Dublin. There is a very good bookshop called Hughes & Hughes in Dublin airport which will have copies. I have tried to write a book about all aspects of low fares travel in Europe. I look forward to your feedback in due course! thanks
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Sat 19 Jan 2008 - 18:01

ruinair wrote: I have tried to write a book about all aspects of low fares travel in Europe.

A most interesting subject; I have read every book I have found about it ( on Go, easyJet, Ryanair and others) and I look forward to reading your book. Will it be sold at the Waterstone's bookshops on the continent, Brussels for instance ?
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair Sun 20 Jan 2008 - 21:26

Hi there. the book includes flights on ruinair, easyJet, germanwings, hlx, clickair, vueling, helvetic, air berlin, nikki, myair and a few others - i fly often! I am sure that Waterstones shops in mainland Europe could order the book for you. Also it is already on sale on Amazon UK for delivery in February.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruinair-Paul-Kilduff/dp/0717144348/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200605659&sr=1-7
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Thu 28 Feb 2008 - 23:40

Published in february ?
I have not found it in the bookshops at Dublin to-day; I have been told that it might appear on sale perhaps next week, or the week after.
That author allegedly knows all about Ryanair and the LCCs but does not know the publishing date of his own book ...?
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairboy Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 0:49

Hello Atoutpix!

Have you been to Dublin today? Did you get great flights?
Ryanairboy
Ryanairboy
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 15:37

Yes, I've been to Dublin yesterday, via Stansted, for fun (four flights in place of two !)

CRL - STN with EI-DCX - scheduled 0840-0850, real 0835-0837 (smooth landing)
STN-DUB with EI-DPV, sked 1110-1225, real 1112-1245 (20 minutes circling in a holding pattern over the Irish Sea)
DUB-STN with EI-DWX, sked 1650-1805, real 1646-1801
STN-CRL with EI-DAZ, sked 2000-2210, real 1954-2145 (rather a firm landing in the rain)
Total flying time without the taxy's : 41+74+51+38 = 204 min

Ryanair ponctuality is not a legend !
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

'Ruinair' the book published in February 2008 Empty Dublin Airport

Post by ruinair Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 19:55

well done on your flying visit - yes the airport here can be busy and planes must circle. alas my book was only published today so i dont think you would have seen it in the airport book shop? maybe on your next visit!
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair Sun 16 Mar 2008 - 22:56

I am pleased to advise that the travel book 'Ruinair' is the number 1 best selling non-fiction book in Ireland this week - everyone loves Ruinair Smile
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Wed 2 Apr 2008 - 22:13

Eventually, I bought the book at DUB today (12,99 euros); will read it asap !
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by stevestrac Fri 4 Apr 2008 - 3:42

Bought the book in DUB on the 12th March, read it within 3 days, couldn't put it down, loved every page of it. I was going to start reading it on the flight coming home from DUB, but I managed to sit in seat 1C, with 2 STN based Ryanair Maintenence staff sitting next to me and periods through the flight Cabin Crew hovering by the galley, so thought better of it.

So after reading a few quotes to my friend who had gone to Malawi (not on Ryanair) just after buying it, he also bought it and has taken it on his trip to read, he's another addict like me to Ryanair.

Paul, if you are going through with Ruinairski, although nothing amazing has happened to me, I could furnish you with a couple of SNN-STN stories, that through only 2 flights amounted a total of 9 and a half hours delay.

Apart from that, how about...... something I've been thinking about for awhile. Around the world on budget airlines! Apart from a Daily Mail reporter here in the UK who just flew London - Hong Kong - Toronto - London, could it be done on shorter hops on companies in a similar idea to Ryanair??????
stevestrac
stevestrac
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by FR TROOPER Fri 4 Apr 2008 - 17:01

Hello i have found a book on ebay called RYANAIR the full story of the contraversial low cost airline author SIBHAN CREATON
FR TROOPER
FR TROOPER
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Fri 4 Apr 2008 - 18:28

FR TROOPER wrote:Hello i have found a book on ebay called RYANAIR the full story of the contraversial low cost airline author SIBHAN CREATON

In my opinion, this is the best book written about Ryanair, interesting, well documented, well written and fair - which is more than you can say of a recent book.
Beware, the book has been published in 2004, then in 2005 and 2007, each time with a chapter added.
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

'Ruinair' the book published in February 2008 Empty RUINAIR

Post by atoutprix Fri 4 Apr 2008 - 22:20

In short, this book is a travel book describing places and towns in some sixteen European countries, reached mainly by Ryanair (always spelled Ruinair) and other carriers : HLX, Germanwing, Air Berlin, Niki, Aer Lingus, EUJet, Helvetic, Vueling, Clickair, MyAir, ...

All along, the author displays a prejudice against Ryanair and endeavours to mock, disparage and criticize it - a few examples, there are many more :
- Every Ruinair flight number has a FR prefix. If the R stands for Ruinair, what does the F stand for ? (page 4)
- If you saw a Clickair girl at BCN, you would think "Wow"; if you saw a Ruinair girl (...) you would think "Poor thing".(page 209)
- There are few things more unpleasant in life than flying with Ruinair. (page 225)
- The difference between all other low fares airlines and Ruinair is simple. The difference is one word. Pride. (page 209)

Of course, the first chapter is about a delayed flight (in a 23 year old 737, meaning it happened a long time ago) - and the complete catastrophic horror story as usual. To imply that this happens all the time is rather dishonest, as Ryanair punctuality is amongst the best, and perhaps the very best in the whole commercial aviation sector.

- page 335 : Ruinair has put on its website 11 glowing letters from satified customers (which) is an impressive enough number of raving fans, considering they fly 50 millions passengers annually.
- Page 240 to 252 : 56 comments of passengers : 5 in favor of Ryanair, 51 against Ryanair. (Not an impressive number either, considering the 50 millions ...)
- Page 275 to 279 : 21 comments from Ruinair employees : 5 for, 16 against.
- Page 233 to 239 : 10 excerpts of newpapers articles : all against Ruinair.
Statistically, the highest number of dissatisfied comments is not significant, it is well known that a dissatisfied customer will express himself much more vocally than a happy customer. One passenger angry because he has (rightly) had to pay for overweight luggage will write to the newspaper to tell of his anger, whereas the 188 other happy passengers won't do anything.

The author himself acknowledge that Ruinair's market research says 82 % of their pax rate Ruinair's service as "good" or "excellent"; 90 % would "probably" or "definitely" recommend a friend (page 84)... Thus, where is the problem ?

The author makes his own contribution by explaining his strategy to keep an entire row of 3 seats all to himself (page 18), so doing his bit not to make a Ruinair experience any more pleasant for others ...

There are many small mistakes but it would be tedious to explain it all at lenght here.

Don't expect to find detailed or technical informations about the Ryanair aircraft or operations or routes or finance or strategy or future; just a brief history of Ryanair(page 31 to 37). And an interesting chapter about the shareholders' annual general meeting.

The Ryanair fan will read this book with interest, as any book about his favourite airline, but won't learn much new, and won't find it fair towards Ryanair.

KILDUFF, Paul : Ruinair - Gill & Macmillan, Dublin, 2008 (348 pages);

THERE ARE FEW THINGS MORE PLEASANT IN LIFE THAN FLYING WITH RYANAIR !
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair Sat 5 Apr 2008 - 21:23

many thanks for the book review - there is no such thing as bad publicity as MO'L would say - the book is supposed to be funny and not taken too seriously - i have placed your excellent review on my ruinair web site. thanks steve for the offer of some tales from STN and do send them on. the sequel Ruinairski is half finished. ruinair meanwhile is the best selling non fiction book in ireland for the past 5 weeks. we all love ruinair ....
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

'Ruinair' the book published in February 2008 Empty Public perception

Post by benvs97 Tue 8 Apr 2008 - 1:17

Having read the book review from 'atoutprix' on Ruinair, (a book which I have not read yet), I can certainly relate to his comments about the fact that negative criticism will be more 'vocal' than 'happy customers' experiences. In fact here is an interesting story on that subject:

Last Thursday I returned from BZG to STN at 20 min past midnight unfortunately due to a shortage of bagage handlers at STN it took a total of 90 min to get my bag. Now I knew that this was very likely due to poor BAA (at STN) performance and had nothing to do with Ryanair. I took the situation for granted and waited patiently for my bag.

Another passenger arriving from Venice Treviso sat down next to me and said to his friend: ' This waiting (i.e. for the bag) is why I should have paid the extra £200 (!!!) for a flight with British Airways. To which I commented: 'pay an extra £200 and not get your bag like everyone else that has been through Terminal 5 at Heathrow? Are you sure?'

My point here is that the public perception about Ryanair and British Airways will not change over night, as people generally expect poor service and quality when they pay little money for a product or service. When they pay a 'premium' they expect a high level of service and a high quality product.

The reality in my flying experience over the last few years: Ryanair delivers a high quality product and a good service consistently and against the best prices in the industry, I always avoid British Airways even though I make more than 100 flights per year mainly for business trips from the UK but increasingly more for pleasure thanks to Ryanair!

The other thing I realised on Thursday is that I would like to start a Ryanair Fanclub, however you guys have beat me to it (could have known that when Ryanair is the largest International airline in the world.....).
benvs97
benvs97
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix Fri 20 Jun 2008 - 12:59

It seems Paul Kilduff is writing two other books about RYR :

- one with the best quotations of Michaël O'Leary : "The little book of Mick O'Leary" - to be published end of this year
- one about the twelve new countries of the EU, to be published next year as "Ruinairsky".

http://blissfultravel.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/ruinair-interview-with-bestselling-author-paul-kilduff/
atoutprix
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair Mon 23 Jun 2008 - 16:55

hi and yes that is correct! more books are on the way ......
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanairGrad Mon 23 Jun 2008 - 17:55

Don't forget to mention the fanclub;)
RyanairGrad
RyanairGrad
FR Admin
FR Admin

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair Mon 23 Jun 2008 - 20:09

i am going to have a chapter called The Ruinair Fan Club Smile
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanairGrad Tue 15 Jul 2008 - 14:20

I just ordered 'Ruinair' and it will be delivered in 3 or 4 days. I'm very curious after the reviews here. I probably won't finish it before my holiday to Thailand, but I'll let you know after! Greetz
RyanairGrad
RyanairGrad
FR Admin
FR Admin

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair Wed 4 Feb 2009 - 21:34

Ruinair, the UK edition, is published this week by Harper Collins in London, priced at 1 penny. It should be in all UK airport bookshops this week for purchase by all loyal Ruinair frequent flyers ... perhaps someone on here can check if it is on sale in W H Smith in Stansted airport and stack the books nicely for me!? thanks Very Happy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruinair-Paul-Kilduff/dp/0007306156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228834739&sr=1-1
ruinair
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by stevestrac Thu 5 Feb 2009 - 2:40

Aren't you a lucky man! A friend who I drink with (when shifts permit) is a Night Shift Manager at some place called W H Smith at some small airfield called Stansted Airport............ Will text them later today in case they are on nights at the moment, so not to disturb their sleep during the day, or if they are off at the moment, disturbing their sleep during a night off! they are in charge of all 6 W H Smith shops at STN, so hopefully might be able to help!
stevestrac
stevestrac
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post by msep003 Thu 5 Feb 2009 - 21:56

does the book is sold in VH Smith stores even in Paris ?
msep003
msep003
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next